Who created the world?
- God is the source of life and architect our world.
- God authorized our Lord Jesus to create all things.
- God authorized the Holy Spirit to make us alive.
For us there is:
- one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and
- one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.
--1 Corinthians 8:6
God's role as source and architect
Genesis 1 repeated quote "Then God said..." and something else was created.
Let them (creation) praise the name of the LORD! For He commanded and they were created. -- Psalm 148:5 (ESV)
By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible. -- Hebrews 11:3 (ESV)
... in the presence of the God in whom he believed, Who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist. -- Romans 4:17 (ESV)
O LORD... when You send forth your Spirit, they are created, and you renew the face of the ground. -- Psalm 104:30 (ESV)
Lord Jesus's role as creator
We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ... He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities — all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
-- Colossians 1:3,13-17 (ESV)
But of the Son he says, "You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands." -- Hebrews 1:10 (ESV); Psalm 102:25-28
He (Jesus) was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. -- John 1:10 (ESV)
The Holy Spirit's role as life giver
The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath (spirit) of the Almighty gives me life. -- Job 33:4 (ESV)
When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. -- Matthew 1:18 (ESV)
The beginning of Earth
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Psalm 102:25)
The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
- Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.
- Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.” Thus God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so. And God called the firmament Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day.
- Then God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good. Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth”; and it was so. And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. So the evening and the morning were the third day.
- Then God said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years; and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth, and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. So the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
- Then God said, “Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens.” So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” So the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
- Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food. Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food”; and it was so. Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished.
- And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
-- Genesis 1:1-2:3 (NKJV)
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. -- Exodus 20:11 (ESV)
The end of Earth
Of old you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of Your hands.
They will perish, but You will remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away, but You are the same, and Your years have no end.
The children of Your servants shall dwell secure; their offspring shall be established before You.
-- Psalm 102:25-28 (ESV)
God's creation should praise Him
Praise the LORD!
Praise the LORD from the heavens.
Praise him in the heights!
Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his hosts!
Praise him, sun and moon, praise him, all you shining stars!
Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!
Let them praise the name of the Lord! For He commanded and they were created. And He established them forever and ever; He gave a decree, and it shall not pass away.
Praise the LORD from the earth.
You great sea creatures and all deeps,
fire and hail, snow and mist, stormy wind fulfilling his word!
Mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars!
Beasts and all livestock, creeping things and flying birds! Kings of the earth and all peoples, princes and all rulers of the earth! Young men and maidens together, old men and children!
-- Psalm 148:1-12